Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:43:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Taylor <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hang your machine with ScrollLock

Here's a good one I did the other day (by accident):

I have a cron job that runs every two minutes to display the
uptime on the console (to make sure that it keeps scrolling)
on the company's name server (uptime > /dev/console).

I put the console in scroll-lock mode by accident.  About
0.5 hours later, name resolving was dead. I went to the
name server machine and saw about 20 or so of these 'uptime'
processes running, waiting to output to the console.  So many
of these were running (along with CRON processes and sh processes)
that the system could not create more processes (as the syslog
told me).

As soon as I hit the scroll-lock key, everything was fine-
all of the uptime processes completed, and name serving
went on as usual.

Just something to think about.  I don't have any bright ideas
about a workaround.  Maybe auto-disabling ScrollLock mode when
there are 'too may' processes waiting on vty output?

I know, I know, I should not do stupid things like this.  :)

Mark J. Taylor                                  Network R&D Engineer
Cybernet Systems                                mtaylor@cybernet.com
727 Airport Blvd.                               PHONE (313) 668-2567
Ann Arbor, MI  48108                            FAX   (313) 668-8780