Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:01:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: onStream?

Marc van Kempen wrote in list.freebsd-hardware:
 > I recently had a talk with someone working for onStream, and he got me
 > all excited about their product, it appears that under Windows you can
 > play dvd movies directly from tape if you manage to get them on the tape...
 >
 > He also told me that the drive has been developed by a group which used
 > to work for Philips on the dcc project, and when that was cancelled they
 > decided to use the technology they had developed for a tapedrive.

That's interesting.  I've been told that onStream was started
by a group of people whoch worked for Exabyte previously.

 > However, it made me wonder about that status of the driver for it,
 > even more so since a Linux driver has been released, so that should
 > be able to serve as a reference.

There's work in progress in the FreeBSD camp (both for the IDE
and the SCSI versions), but so far nothing is available yet.
(As always, it'll be available when it's ready...)
The OnStream "SCSI" interface seems to suck pretty much.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)