Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:57:00 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Official -doc freeze proposal

If memory serves me right, Randy Pratt wrote:
> One thing I would like to bring up regarding the doc freeze is the Handbook
> section on installation.
>
> I try to do the changes to the installation section as late as possible
> during the release.  There have been occasions during the last few releases
> that last minute source tree changes were made that do affect the content of
> the installation section.

Err.  Good point.

> I'm trying to catch up on email after being out of town for a few weeks so I
> might have missed a comment that a change during a doc freeze would require
> the approval of the release engineer.  Perhaps this is implied but it might
> be better if it were documented.

I was thinking that we didn't need a formal approval process involving a
release engineer, just agreement on the freeze and what it means, on the
basis that doc/ is both a smaller tree and a smaller community than src/.

If there's some concensus that having re approval would be good, murry
and I wear both doc and re hats, although I can assure you that we both
have plenty to do during the final stages of a release already!  And
like I wrote above, I'm not sure it's necessary.

Bruce.