Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:58:18 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        oceanare pte ltd <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: matthew dillon

Dave Hayes wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > Do you unsubscribe from mailing lists you merely monitor for
> > interesting content, rather than subscribing to them, when some
> > jerk fills up your POP3 maildrop because they have an axe to
> > grind, and, as a result, mail which you consider "important",
> > compared to the list traffic, bounces?
>
> I don't use POP3, precisely because of that reason. Do you?

What you do or not do is irrelevent to the fact that some people
can not obtain service that doesn't involve their email piling
up somewhere it has to be downloaded from.

In addition, not everyone can run a mail server, for lack of
IPv4 address space, and due to service provider restrictions on
the ability to run servers on their network connections due to
active firewalling to create an artificial tiering of pricing,
while avoiding the oversight of the PUC by not seperating it
into a new tarrif group.

> > People who advocate "receiver filtering" (either of the active
> > variety, or of the "just ignore" variety) is the answer to all
> > SPAM-like problems apparently do not understand the realities
> > of many people using pull-based rather than push-based email
> > transports.
>
> We do understand those realities, which is why we contend that
> pull-based systems aren't the correct technology to use for receiving
> randomly ubiquitous content such as humans are likely to generate.

Until the technologies are no longer being deployed against
new users, live in the world as it is, not as you wish it
were.

> I recognize that some people are unable to leave their POP client
> connected 24/7 with "leave mail on server" unchecked and with
> a scan rate of "once every 2 minutes". Perhaps a digested form
> of the mailing list or a web browsable archive should exist for
> those people's needs?

The problem is that a denial of service attack can be successful,
even in that case, by using a sufficiently large message size, or
a sufficiently high message frequency, or a combination of the
two (e.g. the recent troll repetitive mailings that cause this
thread to be started were once-a-second, from my reading of the
email headers).

How is it that you suggest people defend against people with
bigger pipes for shoving messages out than people have for
messages coming in?  In the limit, the same argument will apply
to push-based systems, eventually, since you can not RED-queue
persistent TCP connections, only incoming connection requests.

> The technology is supposed to serve you, not dictate how you
> are supposed to communicate.

Feeel free to correct it, and every exisitng instance of it on
the Internet, and then, after you have done that, get back to
me, and I may indeed be willing to agree with your arguments.

NB: If you are going to deal with this, then please, at the
same time, fix the FIN-WAIT-2 problem, which is caused by a
protocol design error in TCP, which requires two responses to
a single request, with no way for the requester to re-request
the first of the two responses.

> > Please understand the technology involved before telling people
> > how they should use it.
>
> Please understand the people involved before attempting to force
> people to behave based on a particular choice of technology. =)

The technology used dictates the permissable behaviours of
the people using it; whether you like that fact or not, it is
nonetheless true.

-- Terry