Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:30:39 +0100
From:      Terje Thoegersen <Terje.Thogersen@hda.hydro.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aha0: Bus dropped at unexpected time

Lemme try this again.. This should teach me not to create mails with
periods in column 1..

> I've got a disk here that I can't get to work with my controller;
> almost anytime I access it I get this "bus dropped" message.  Is there
> something I can tweak to make it work?  It does work a little bit; I can get
> to the mode pages on the disk, was able to format it, (and with *lots* of
> repetitions, fdisk and disklabel it), etc.
>
> 	disk: IBM 0663W2H
> 	controller: aha1540B (an old one!)
 .
 .

> About two thirds of the time I get "Bus dropped at unexpected time" during
> the probe; this one happened to work...  The geometry reported is correct.
>
> Is this related to my antique aha1540?

Hi!

Old Adaptecs don't like IBM disks. Since you have the 1540B, there's
an upgrade for the BIOS and Microcode available, which fixes the
problem. See ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/

Regards,
  -Terje
Terje Thoegersen, Systems Consultant | terje.thogersen@hda.hydro.com
Norsk Hydro a.s, Hydro Data	     | Tel   : +47 2273 9298
P.O.Box 200, 			     | Fax   : +47 2273 9614
1321 Stabekk, Norway    	     | Pager :     966 32801