Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:47:57 GMT
From:      Bozhin Zafirov <bozhin@mail.bg>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/140268: 8.0-RC* does not install

>Number:         140268
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       8.0-RC* does not install
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Installation of FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 and 8.0-RC2 fails after the "last chance" question with the following error:

Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!
The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

I also tried to install 7.2 and upgrade it to 8.0-RC2 (I have never done this before and thus there is a possibility i do things the wrong way):

freebsd-update -r 8.0-RC2 upgrade
freebsd-update install

Then I was asked to restart the system and continue the upgrade process. After the restart, things went wrong again:

..
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:

If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from the loader prompt:
  set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
and then remove invalid options from /etc/fstab
..

Motherboard used is MSI MS-7255 Ver. 1.2; HDD 80GB Maxtor PATA;
In all cases I partitioned the disk like this:
ad0s1a - 76111MB  /
ad0s1b - 2048MB swap

It makes no difference whether I use standard MBR or boot loader. Having in mind that FreeBSD 7.2 installs (and works) flawlessly on this hardware, I assume problem is related to broken support for any device present in this motherboard (maybe disk controller?) rather than hardware malfunction.

I also tried to change settings in motherboard's BIOS to different values with no luck. I am out of ideas what further tests I may conduct in order to attempt to resolve this problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
Maybe attempt to install FreeBSD 8.0-* on MSI MS-7255 motherboard?
>Fix:
not known so far