Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:16:05 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

"Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
[...]
> I think I've done as good a job as anyone could expect to do

I have to disagree here. I think Jordan has done a *far better* job
than anyone could have expected.

Without Jordan (and others), FreeBSD would be what? NetBSD? OpenBSD?
386BSD? Linux? IMHO much of the "soul" of FreeBSD mimics Jordan. Jordan
doesn't appear to be a Bible Thump'n Preacher (I understand the
"fairings" references, but one on guns is a head scratcher). FreeBSD
isn't a Bible Thump'n OS. If thats what one wants then there is plenty
of Thump'n in Linux. But more in OpenBSD than FreeBSD.

Some people won't buy a particular car or make because the commodity
auto parts stores don't stock parts for it. Which would you rather have,
a popular car that falls apart but has cheap and easy to get parts, or a
reliable unpopular car that isn't in constant need of repair? I believe
FreeBSD is that reliable OS, and Windows is the OS to guarantee lifetime
employment to Windows Mechanics.

Its also my belief that Windows is the yardstick Linux uses to measure
itself. FreeBSD uses their own yardstick, but is not blind to what
others are doing, just not bound to do something Just Because Bill Is
Doing It.

I like the path FreeBSD is taking. I also like my reliable computer. For
all of the shouting that has been going on, BSDi is off quietly Doing
The Right Thing. Apple too. A year from now I expect Apple's choice of
FreeBSD for the Un*x base of Darwin and Mac OS X is going to be nothing
but win, win, win, for FreeBSD.

Jordan, keep up the good work. And see if you can't quietly talk Apple
into porting all of MacOS to FreeBSD...  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net