Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 20:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        aevans@kaiwan.com (Alan B. Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: triton/2940/conner cfp 1080s woes

> I was hoping I could borrow from other peoples experience
> on setting up FreeBSD on a new machine.
>
> I just picked up the following and have been unable to
> get a system running long enough in order to get everything
> installed :
>
> Pentium 100 - Triton Motherboard
> Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller
> Conner CFP1080S hard drive (1.06GB)
> ATI Mach64 2MB DRAM
> 3C503 NIC
> 16MB memory

What speed is this memory??  Triton chip sets (and every one else
too, require 60nS memory to run a 100Mhz CPU chip, many clone shops
are cheating here and using 70nS memory which works for windoze most
of the time, but Unix will trip over it big time).

Also what motherboard is this?  Intel Zappa?  Asus PCI/I-P54TP4?
Micronics???

> I am trying to install SNAP-950412 on this machine. I am using
> the default setup parameters for the Triton board and the
> Adaptec card. I have got to the point where I can get the
> bin distribution installed, but eventually, everything ends
> up signal 11-ing soon or later (anywhere from seconds to
> minutes). I have tried changing from 10MB/sec to 5MB/sec,
> disabling disconnection, & disabling L2 cache with the
> same results.

Try setting the CPU clock to 90 Mhz instead of 100, if that fixes
your problem check the SIMMS for any 70nS chips.

> Anybody have any suggestions ? I would be eternally grateful
> for anything that will help be bring up FreeBSD on this
> machine. I got this machine for the express purpose of running
> FreeBSD (I do Web work and I need a robust and dependable server).

Next time maybe think about buying from me, boxes come with the OS
installed, make world run about 6 to 10 times during burnin and
just don't have this problem!