Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:08:06 -0700
From:      "Gil" <gseward@jps.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Another similar first install

I am having a problem similar to Bill Hamilton's.  I have a Pentium
166 on an Abit MB, 64MB ram , two FAT32 IDE drives on the first
IDE port and another IDE drive dedicated to FreeBSD (master) and
a CDROM on the second IDE port. My BIOS lets me choose my
boot drive and I have it set to E:.  I installed FreeBSD, and the user
configuration showed no conflicts except for my Ps/2 mouse,
which configuration said was allowed.  When I try to boot it I get a
message "Panic: cannot mount root".  When, at the Boot: prompt,
I enter:  0:wd(0,a)? I get a result like this:

. .. dev usr var stand etc proc cdrom dist bin lkm mnt root sbin tmp
sys boot.hlp.cshrc .profile COPYRIGHT kernel.GENERIC
kernel.config boot.config home

I have tried "0:wd(0,a)GENERIC kernel" and "0:wd(0,a)compat
kernel", and both run, but both also give me the "Panic: cannot
mount root" error.
Can anyone help a Newbie?

             Gil Seward

                       Gil