Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:55:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Expiring of static routes

Hi,

We have a network consisting of FreeBSD 2.0 and 2.0.5 machines connected
to the world by a FreeBSD 2.0 gateway. All machines have a default route
pointing to this gateway; this route is added in the /etc startup files
by the "route add default" command. The gateway does (did :-) not announce
the default route.
Yesterday, the gateway went down for about 15 minutes. When it was booted
again, we found to our surprise that all the FreeBSD machines (except for
this gateway) had lost the default static route (and hence could not
communicate with other systems). We can't think of any other reason for this
behaviour than that the default route must have been marked for deletion and
eventually has been removed; just like other routes. So, my questions are:

1) is it true that routed expires static routes just like other routes?

2) if so: how to prevent this?

   if not: has anyone another explanation for this behaviour?

Best regards,

                 Frank

       Frank Volf - Internet Access Eindhoven - Digitale Stad Eindhoven
  ||  volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl - use for personal mail                         ||
  ||  volf@IAEhv.nl - use for Internet Access Eindhoven related mail      ||
  ||  volf@dse.dse.nl - use for Digital City of Eindhoven related mail    ||
     IAE Public Access Unix System - Dial +31.40.439436 and login as new.