Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:28:21 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

At 9:21 AM -0700 7/11/00, David O'Brien wrote:
> > LPRng is available in the ports and the folks that need
> > its functionality aren't unduely harmed if its not in
> > the standard distribution.
>
>The existing LPR system is (1) becoming non-standard with
>the rest of BSD and Unix, and (2) is very antiquated and
>certainly isn't to the standards of how a piece of software
>should operate today.

In what areas have NetBSD and OpenBSD been changing lpr?

I have not checked in with their lpr in several years, but
I am certainly willing to look those over for any good
ideas, once I catch up with my current backlog of work.
My guess is that I wouldn't have any time to look over
{Open,Net}BSD's lpr until September at the very earliest.
I'm also interested in what Darwin/MacOS-10 is up to, as
it happens that I'm the main MacOS support person on the
RPI campus.  (not that we have a lot of Macs, but I do a
lot of the support for what we have).  I also dabbled a
lot with NeXTstations, so I'm predisposed to poking thru
Darwin even if RPI wasn't going to run it for anything.

I'm not arguing here, I am really interested and you sound
like you know of some specific issues.  I have had to make
an occasional change to our (RPI's) lpr to make things
work better with linux users on campus, and now that BSD-ish
interest is on the increase at RPI I would certainly be
happy to have any heads-up for things to look out for
there, too.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute