Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:41:03 -0400
From:      Peter Brezny <pbrezny@christschool.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   drive install problem

Hey, if you have a minute, let me know what you think ive done wrong.

I added a new drive to a 2.2.8 freebsd box, secondary controller, master.

I used the /stand/sysinstall program and went into post install
configuration and used their partition manager to create one big partition
on the disk, write the changes, then went to the label manager to label the
partition /bkup.

When i left the program and typed

df

the system showed all the partitions including the /bkup at the end of the
list.

great.

after i reboot the machine however, when i type df, no /bkup partition is
listed separately from the other partitions (those being /, /var, /usr,
/home, /proc.  however, /bkup can be found under the root, /.

looking around for what might be wrong, i found a note in the handbook that
if you were adding drives by hand, you had to edit /etc/fstab.

so i got all the pertinet drive info, and created a line in /etc/fstab that
appeared identical to the other configurations except for the mount point
and the name of the partition, wdc1e, or something like that.

i rebooted the box remotely and well, it never came back up.

when i looked at /etc/fstab on another system, i noticed that its entry for
the /bkup partition (which seemed to be completely created by the setup
program /stand/sysinstall) was before the cdrom and before /proc.

otherwise, there was no difference.

there is a device listed in /dev that matches the description of the new
drive.  I've not had a chance to get to the box, and see if it will let me
back in to fix /etc/fstab now or not but i am hopint it will.

any ideas?

Thanks.

Peter

Peter Brezny