Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nasty reference loop in login.conf

It's my fault.

I'm running 9-STABLE.

During mergemaster run, I forgot to add localised settings to
login.conf.

No problem I thought, then I edited login.conf by hand
before running /usr/bin/cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf.

By sloppy paste, I accidentally created :tc=default: loop in
default:\.

Now, of course I cannot login as anybody nor use
sudo.

e.g.

login_getclass: 'tc=' reference loop 'root'
su: pam_acct_mgmt: error in service module

sudo: login_getclass: 'tc=' reference loop 'default'

Moreover I'm afraid to power down machine, as
currently I'm logged as wheel group user, and I'm not
sure if change from :passwd_format=md5:\
to :passwd_format=sha512:\ didn't complicate it further...

Currently all my solutions would require to power down
machine, which I'm afraid to do frankly.

1. Hope I can still log in single user mode and correct
/etc/login.conf? I'm afraid of md5 -> sha512 change.

2. Use some LiveCD and correct login.conf, then run
/usr/bin/cap_mkdb .

Has anybody have other ideas?