Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 15:30:41 +1000
From:      Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I keep having wrong checksum in 6.1 iso download (what should I do??)

On Fri, 12 May 2006 21:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It was my second time to download a 6.1 iso from one
> of the regional ftp sites.. Lucky we have a slightly
> fast connection (155Mbps)...

Slightly fast? What do you call fast? :-)

> By the way, is it really dangerous to ignore these checksums
> that doesn't match with the published one? What's the reason
> behind this bad checksum mismatch??.

It generally indicates that the file was corrupted during
transmission. It could, however, happen because the site you're
downloading from is serving a corrupt version.

A checksum mismatch basically indicates that the file is not as
it should be. You may still be able to use it without any
adverse impact, but then again, you may not. It's also possible
that someone has intentionally corrupted the file for sinister
purposes.

I'd strongly recommend not using it. It's probably worth trying
to download the file again, from another mirror.

--
Nick Withers
email: nick@nickwithers.com