Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:03:34 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 650 UART, SIO driver, 8259 PIC

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:13:59 -0800, John-Mark Gurney
<gurney_j@efn.org> wrote:

>personally, I would like to see a complete rewrite of most of the hardware
>into two layers, the "chip interface" layer which describes how the
>chip interacts, and then a bus layer in how the chip is mapped to the
>computer..

Abstraction creates inefficiencies which can be avoided in a
monolithic design.  And the interdependence of the SIO code with the
peculiarities of the Intel PC interrupt architecture would be
difficult to abstract without creating subtle or hidden flaws.

John