Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 1995 17:07:38 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI RAID Controller...

>Since there is an interest in performance solutions on this list, and
>because somebody had mentioned the Compaq(??) EISA RAID controller a while
>back, I was fascinated when I ran across the following:
>
>(from  http://www.adaptec.com/sales/AHA3985Features.html)
>(snip)----------------------------------------------------------------
>Adaptec AHAŽ-3985 PCI RAID Adapter

I've known about this controller for some time.

>Does anybody have any further information about this?  (is anybody looking
>to write a device driver for it???)

Well, its only supported under Netware so far.  Perhaps this is because of
some hooks in Netware for RAID?  Adaptec seems pretty tight lipped on
technical information for this card.  I talked with the product manager
for the card today and we'll see what he can do as far as getting me
programming information.  If we can get enough info to support it, it
should smoke.

>All FreeBSD needs now is a PrestoServe type solution (the one advantage of
>the Compaq controller) ... I can just see it now.  Pentium, of Borg,
>materializes, saying "Sun is Irrelevant", holding a FreeBSD 2.2 CDROM and
>a FreebieServe Cache Accelerator card  :-)

:)

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM