Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:50:54 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gopher man pages?

> I seem to be having a problem installing gopher from the ports
> collection. Specifically, the installation produces the gopher client
> correctly and it works fine... except that there are -NO- man pages. I've

Hmm. There don't seem to be any man page files in this package for
some reason...

You should probably report this to ports@freebsd.org.

> No man 1 or man 8 entries for gopher, gopherd,
> gophfilt or anything else (no apropos hits for anything, as would be
> expected). What am I missing here?

Nothing - if it ain't installed 'em, you ain't got 'em. 8-)

As you mention trying to do a 'make install', you've presumably got
the source in the ports directory. In which case, you can simply
install them by hand:-

# cd /usr/ports/net/gopher/work/gopher2_1_3/doc
# cp *.1 /usr/share/man/man1
# cp *.5 /usr/share/man/man5
# cp *.8 /usr/share/man/man8

The install program would run 'gzip -9' on the man pages before
copying them - you can do this as well, if you're short on diskspace,
or feeling conscientious. 8-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk