Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:14:41 -0600
From:      Jimbo <jcjoseph@wt.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@eurocontrol.fr>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VAIO 505F vs Toshiba 3015CT

I have a sony notebook. It has worked great. i use XFree86 3.3.3 and the
neomagic support suffices.

> - do I need PAO or is CURRENT enough ?
Use -stable(2.2.8) the scsi card that Sony uses is an adaptec one which
isn't supported in -current yet.

> - does the hibernation feature work (saving mem on disk) ?
I haven't tried that.

> - what are the differences between 505F & 505G (the Sony site is not that
>   precise either) ?
I don't know-maybe a marketing thing, got to have something new for
people to buy.

> - what are the different prices around ?
Vaiodirect has the 505F listed for $1699.

> - can I install without a CD-ROM (by FTP/NFS) ?
I installed the base operating system via the built in modem (left it on
all night) and installed the rest via the PCMCIA network card that I
had.

> - what about Cardbus / PCMCIA support in FreeBSD ?
Compile the laptop kernel, and add sound support. I was able to use my
Linksys ethernet card afterwards

> Sony lists the 505F at around 1700US$ and Toshiba the 3015CT at
> 1800US$. The Sony 505G seem to be more expensive (why?).
It looks cool :)