Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian McGroarty <bvmcg@yahoo.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD XFS Port & BSD VFS Rewrite

--- Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
> In message
> <19990816164048.28824.rocketmail@web1001.mail.yahoo.com>
> Brian McGroarty writes:
> : So do the old and new Playstation models. The MIPS core is
> : being manufactured by several companies: IDT alone has
> : something like a dozen variants available with and without
> : MMU, FP, 5000 vs 10000 core, etc. and is in far wider use
> : than in just PCs and gaming consoles. I doubt if SGI
> : machines abandoning MIPS processors would put much of a dent
> : in MIPS' profitability.
>
> NEC also makes about a dozen.  Although they aren't stupid
> enough to make any without MMUs :-)  I really don't like the
> IDT 4650, can you tell...

If you think that's bad, try writing 3D games on the MIPS
without a MMU, FPU or a data cache. Welcome to Playstation
programming. Admittedly it's got a direct-mapped scratchpad
where you can drop temporary data and some really esoteric
low-precision fixed-point matrix operators, but it's never
-quite- what you're looking for.

My last Playstation title saw upward of fifteen hundred lines of
tightly tuned assembly before all the special effects were up to
60fps again. The Lego Racers team have had an average of one and
a half programmers tuning their rendering engine for over a year
now. I think at this point they're assembly from the BSP
traversal on down.

Next project's Windows, Playstation 2 and FreeBSD/Linux
internally at the least. I'm finally a happy camper.