Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 16:27:18 -0800
From:      sil@antioffline.com
To:        Richard Wilson <wk633@victoria.tc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

> I'm probably not the first to point out (or if I am, I'm only the first to
> be stupid enough to spend the time) the following from
> http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html:

Can't we all just get along. First off the advisories we're jokes I made
with friends and I never sent them out, or did I? Wouldn't make a difference
anyways so here's my take.

Your pointing out something I already know and I am speaking for myself
and not some OpenBSD cause. FYI I use FBSD at work since it supports
multi processors and has some features that Open doesn't. However 4 CD's
filled with stuff that I could give a rats (let me be polite) anus about
is outrageous. Its no wonder why Free is on record pace to release a slew
of advisories.

Listen I poke fun at everybody including OpenBSD its just my website's
irreverent way of making geeks laugh when there's not much else to read
about and their getting sick of the bull (let me be nice again) crap
posted on sites like Slashdot and DaemonNews.

THEY ARE JOKES NO NEED TO GET BENT OUT OF SHAPE like that hermophradite
luser named Kitana who jumped in #openbsd on IRC and had an attack as if
the world was coming to an end.

>=20
> "The ports & packages collection does NOT go through the thorough security
> audit that OpenBSD follows. Although we strive to keep the quality of the
> packages collection high, we just do not have enough human resources to
> ensure the same level of robustness and security."=20

Can you post this in Swedish for me my enlish no too good

>=20
> So, serious question, how do you know there are no trojans on YOUR
> servers?  Do you audit the source?  Or do you trust Theo & Co to 'strive'?
> Or do you run with the default install?

Uh as a matter of fact, my server is a default install of Open behind a
Nokia IP650 with IPF still used between hosts along with Checkpoint's
rules with daemons piped through stunnel. I do go through most of the
things I install on my network. So the answer is yes, no here is one for
you, would you trust your network with an OS that has had more advisories
than crappier OS' (Windows) for the year?

J. Oquendo
sil@disgraced.org   http://www.disgraced.org
sil@antioffline.com http://www.antioffline.com

A student once said: "When I was a Buddhist, it drove
my parents and friends crazy, but when I am a buddha,
nobody is upset at all."

JON KABAT-ZINN, WHEREVER YOU GO THERE YOU ARE

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--