Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:48:58 -0500
From:      Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Subject:   Re: Lawyers to be sicked on *BSD?

I wonder if the SCO Group has done its homework. *BSD and SVR* are
hopelessly entangled. The original code for BSD came from AT&T, and
AT&T/USL versions were at least 50% UCB developed. In 1994, UCB and USL
settled a nasty lawsuit which resulted in an unencumbered 4.4 BSD-Lite
Release. The settlment requires that certain files in BSD-Lite include a
USL copyright notice and certain USL files to include UCB credits.

See <http://www.daemon.org/bsd-releases/misc/USL-lawsuit>; for more info.

I believe that all USL files in *BSD and Linux are derived from that
unencumbered BSD-Lite release, and are therefore properly "licensed". Or
have people gotten careless?  I think that SCO is trying to make money
on FUD.

Harry Tabak