Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:47:19 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bt848/fxtv: More info on system freezes

Amancio Hasty:
 |We may have to file a bug report with the X server group to see if we can
 |get them to help us out. I will be honest with you every day I use
 |fxtv and I don't get a crash -- once I did get the font corruption and
 |the system didn't craash however I have not been able to reproduce it.
 |
 |My take is that is probably more to do with the PCI chipset.
 |The "mistery-bit" on the Bt848 is supposed to be a work around for
 |the Natoma chipset. I still don't know what is supposed to do other
 |than  what I stated. All I am saying is that is difficult to troubleshoot
 |on my PPRo . Guess that I will have to switch testing to my P100 which
 |does have a Natoma chipset.

Back from the weekend...

Interestingly enough, since Mark/my/your latest round of driver mods, I'm
not able to hang the X server anymore.  Tried hard, but no can do. :-)

With the font refresh corruption immediately preceding the lock-ups and the
fact that only the X server crashed, sounded like it was most likely X
server corruption to me.

Given this, I'm inclined to think fxtv or the bt driver might have had a
hand, and its since been fixed (as that's all that's changed).  I've got a
few guesses as to specific changes, but hey!, I'm not gonna complain.

Randall