Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:56:59 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

Bill Moran wrote:
> Alex de Kruijff wrote:
> >>Well, that I can understand.  It follow what I said about many cyclists
> >>not obeying the rules of the road.  Professional cyclists
> >
> > Whats a professional cyclist?
>
> Someone who rides their bike as part of their job.  Like a racer, or a
> bicycle messenger.  Much the difference between the average driver and
> one who drives a car as part of his job (cab driver, or truck driver).

"Professional cyclist" is code for something else.

I think it's like "motorist"; i.e. if you drive a car, and are
stopped by the cops, and you have no visible means of support,
are a convicted felon, are high on something, and are otherwise
indigent, rather than calling you "unemployed intoxicated indigent
convicted felon so-and-so", the news media will call you "motorist
so-and-so", to avoid being politically incorrect.

The media has to do this to avoid biasing the general public against
the other unemployed intoxicated indigent convicted felons, which
would, but for the media bias, be invited into peoples homes on a
regular basis to play Scrabble or Pictionary (but not Monopoly,
since playing that would be just plain insensitive).

-- Terry