Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:47:25 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
Cc:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Atheros card with external antenna connector?

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:

Greg> http://www.ubnt.com/super_range_cardbus.php4 I'm pretty sure
Greg> these have MMCX, and work basically fine under NetBSD which has
Greg> essentially the same driver/hal.  I'm really sure that we hooked
Greg> up small external vertical antennas and got well over 100m range
Greg> outside.  Beware that the output is closer to 400 mW and looked
Greg> a bit unclean at full power, and I was only able to reduce power
Greg> to about 30 mW.

I have used this card with 6.[012] and it performs very well.  With a
12dB rubber duck, I've been able to link up to access points several
city blocks away.

Curiously, in close quarters, where my laptops internal (Intel a/b/g)
wireless links up, the super range card doesn't really provide any
better signal or speed... but at much larger distances it still
provides good performance.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can be          |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |