Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Still doesn't work, I've included as much info as possible....

I have a few suggestions which may help explain why you are having
difficulty, however I can't offer any solution.

You don't mention what model of DataFlex modem you are using, so I am
going to assume that it is a "V34 VoiceSurfer" (since this was the only
V.34 modem listed at the DataFlex site)
I can't be sure but I believe it may be based on the PCTel chipset,
which may not be compatible with anything other than Windows (95 and 3.x
- usually not NT).  From the sounds of your problems with NT,
this may very well be the problem.

To find out if this is a PCTel Chipset, start up Windows 95, go into
Hyperterminal, and issue the following command to the modem:

ati3

If it is a PCTel chipset, you will see the following response:

PCtel 3.5.110S
PCtel 3.5202S

or something similar.

The reason I suspect this is a PCTel chipset is from the following
line I found in the Support Manual on the DataFLex website.
(http://http://www.dataflex.co.uk/tech.html):

 "PLEASE NOTE: This modem requires a PC system with an Intel Pentium
 Processor running at 90MHz or higher."

The PCTel modems are some of the only "HSP" (Host Signal Processing)
modems out there.  These modems use the Host PC's CPU to process the
data stream rather than an onboard chip to handle it.  The other thing
about these modems is that they are *software* driven (ie. they will
work in Windows with the appropriate drivers installed, but not in DOS)

This is similar to the notorious WinModems out there that cause no end
of grief to dialup ISP Tech Support guys.

A good (astounding, actually) site which explains all about HSP, RPI,
PCTel etc. is the Zoltrix modem support page.  They too use the PCTel
chipset in their modems, and while I don't care for their products,
their support page is excellent.
The URL is: http://www.zoltrix.com/techsupp.htm

They offer this in their FAQ:

> Can I use my modem with Operating systems other than Windows 95?

> Yes! The HSP modem currently works in Win95. It also works in Win 3.1x
> for users of true INTEL PENTIUM CPU's. Click here to download the Win
> 3.1x driver. The chipset maker (PCtel) claims that they may support
> other Operating Systems in the future. Currently they claim they will
> release a version of a Windows NT driver soon.
>
> PCtel currently has no plans to run on the DOS operating system. They
> claim to need a more powerful OS for our drivers to multitask with other
> programs.

Also, as a side note, 28.8kbps modems use the "v.34" standard, while
33.6kbps modems use "v.34+". The ati3 command should tell you which
standard you are using.

So if your modem has the PCTel Chipset, it doesn't look likely that it
will work with FreeBSD or any other x86-based Unix. At least until
someone from the development team comes up with a driver for it.

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly,
or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man. - Chuang Tzu