Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:15:04 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laugh: [Fwd: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-008]

Mathew KANNER <mat@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:

[French]
> > "on" is masculine.
>
> 	Really?  I have a vague memory of being taught that it was
> used when the speaker is referring to a group of people, which he is a
> member of -- no inference on the makeup of the group nor speaker can
> be made,  Much like "we" in English.

Semantically, "on" can be either:
- An impersonal third person, like German "man".  In English the
  same is expressed variously with one/you/they or passive voice.
- First person plural in colloquial language.

Grammatically, "on" is always third person singular as you can see
from the verb agreement.  The gender can be deduced from the
participle in compound tenses: "on est allé" => masculine.

Of course French has grammatical gender, which makes all this
somewhat irrelevant to the discussion at hand as Modern English
doesn't.  The English pronoun coreference (he/she/it, they--which/who)
is based on the semantics of the word.  The resulting system is quite
complicated.  A simplified overview from Quirk/Greenbaum/Leech/Svartvik,
_A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language_:

                                                       PRONOUN
                             GENDER CLASS    EXAMPLE   COREFERENCE

                          .- (a) male        brother   who   - he
                          |- (b) female      sister    who   - she
          .- personal ----+- (c) dual        doctor    who   - he/she
          |            .- |- (d) common      baby      who   - he/she/it
animate --|            |  |                            which - it
          |            |- `- (e) collective  family    which - it
          |            |                               who   - they
          `- non-    --+---- (f) higher                which - he/it
             personal  |           male      bull      (who) - he
                       |---- (g) higher                which - she/it
                       |           female    cow       (who) - she
                       |           animal
                       `---- (h) lower       ant       which - it
                                   animal                      (he/she)
inanimate ------------------ (i) inanimate   box       which - it

> Can anyone suggest a good "English grammar for programmers" type book?

In practice, you don't learn grammar from reading a book about it.
You learn it by unconsciously mimicking other people's speech or
writing.

English grammar is fiendishly complex.  The abovementioned book is
the standard reference.  Weighing in at 1780 pages, it is indeed
quite comprehensive but certainly not complete.