Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 17:01:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        schwarz@alpharel.com (Steve Schwarz)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS2 mouse does not work

Steve Schwarz writes:

> I have plugged a PS2 mouse into the PS2 port of my Gateway 2000
> DX4/100 (called Liberty) laptop.  Running FreeBSD 2.0.5, I added
>
> device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
>
> to my kernel configuration, rebuilt my kernel, and on booting, both
> the keyboard and the mouse probe successfully.  But after booting,
> the keyboard is unusable.  I noticed that the question pertaining
> to the psm driver is still in the FreeBSD FAQ but the answer is now
> gone.  Does this mean that (temporarily?) psm support has been
> eliminated from FreeBSD 2.0.5?  Is there something we PS2 mouse users
> should know?
>
> Or, is the problem some conflict between the PS2 mouse plugged into
> the PS2 port and the "builtin" (read, totally unusable) pointing
> device located on the keyboard?
>
> When the Liberty is running DOS and windows, both the mouse and the
> infernal builtin thing work together....
>
> sts

There seems to be a problem with how some hardware vendors implemented
the IRQ stuff. Basically it seems that disabling the IRQ from the mouse
also disables the keyboard one. I posted a patch here earlier that seemed
to fix the problem on NCR machines anyway. I'll see if I can't find it
somewhere if you want it.

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)