Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:09:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network booting, I'm off to work (was  Re: GENERIC build broken)

Ok folks.  It's pretty clear that Matt and I have a difference of
opinion here.  I can either spend more time trying to deal with what I
see as FUD, or actually do the work, and I'm picking the latter.

Yes, I'm aware of what people are currently doing inre: diskless
booting.

No, I don't plan to arbitrarily sabotage these already-working
configurations just for the fun of it.

Yes, there are continuation plans that should allow almost all of these
configurations to continue to work, either in their current or a slightly
modified form.

No, I don't mean to force anyone to go buy new bootroms, or to upgrade
their hardware.  But yes, this is the best way to get diskless booting
to work right.

Understand that development work that's worthwhile is focussed on the
future.  FreeBSD is not an operating system for retired hardware; that's
across the hall with the NetBSD folks.  We need to keep ourselves
focussed on where we're going, and right now, in this context, it means
that we need to look at doing PXE on i386 properly.

I'm more than happy to talk to people about the technical issues
involved (and have been behind all the smoke), and I've had an open call
for participants and contributors for months (almost no respondents) to
both do the grunt work and help drive the bus.

Thanks for following this, and I hope to have something to show for it
fairly soon.