Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 09:28:45 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

> Is there any plan to make a X based installation for FreeBSD ?

Nope.  Too much trouble and bootstrapping the user into an X server,
even a 16 color one, is also a non-trivial exercise, especially from a
1.44MB boot floppy (though I suppose you could stay out of X until you
got your media pipe open and could suck over a 2nd-stage install and
its infrastructure).

In any case, every one of the other 5000 or so times this exact same
question has come up, I've generally said the same thing:

If somebody really feels like they have the cojones to sit down and
implement something like this, submitting a viable proof-of-concept to
me or anyone else on the FreeBSD development team, we'll be more
than happy to look at it!

					Jordan