Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:47:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major push by spammers?

On Fri, Nov 28, 1997 at 12:04:04AM -0600, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

>> 2 ways: The first, if reverse DNS lookup fails, accounts for about 90%
>> of the rejects.  When I first started doing this, I worried that
>> perhaps I was rejecting some legit emails so for the first couple of
>> weeks I'd do one day on, one day off.  In 14 days worth of testing, I
>> got one "legitimate" message (though it was unanswerable due to said
>> misconfiguration, so I could have done without it :) and many many
>> hundreds of spams on the days that I had reverse DNS checking
>> disabled.  Needless to say, I can't even imagine not having it on now.
>
> Now tell me, how does the reverse DNS lookup work?  Does it perform a
> reverse DNS against the IP source vs. the line sent in EHLO, or
what?

A reverse lookup takes the IP address and looks through the BIND
hierarchy for a corresponding PTR record (more specifically, for
address 192.109.197.137, it will look for a PTR record which matches
137.197.109.192.in-addr.arpa).  A lot of systems don't have their
reverse delegation set up correctly, so I suspect a number of innocent
people are also being rejected.

Greg