Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2019 17:27:48 -0400
From:      John Johnstone <jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd@tridentusa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd configutration -- a small suggestion from the peanut gallery

On 6/5/19 3:42 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <58688a77362d7caad70df844d5077d0916f7f944.camel@smormegpa.no>,
> Matthias Oestreicher <matthias@smormegpa.no> wrote:
>
>>> Did I just miss those ntpd death messages somehow?
>> Sorry, I've never seen ntpd exit due to too big offset and I don't know how that would
>> show in /var/log/messages.
>
> It would appear that, most probably, nobody knows what the ntpd suicide log
> messages look like, because it doesn't actually produce any (contrary to
> what the man page says).

On recent FreeBSD versions I've seen it just silently fail to start and
stay running.

After powering up several HP ProLiants and setting the hardware clocks
to local time before booting a FreeBSD 12 installation USB drive, I've
answered No to the "CMOS clock set to UTC?" question.  After picking a
timezone and finishing the installation, the system completes it's first
boot up but NTP is not running.  Observed by service ntpd status as well
as a ntpq -c sysinfo.

Doing a date shows the system time set to be UTC even though it's
configured for a local timezone.  Manually setting the system's clock
with date and starting NTP gets NTP running and synchronized after that.

-
John J.