Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 03:39:13 +0300
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Oracle on Linux enhancement request, need your support!]

--------------E8BE934988ACFFA7F713482F

--

    @=
     //RSSH                              mailto:Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA

--------------E8BE934988ACFFA7F713482F

From: "David Sisk" <davesisk@ipass.net>
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.misc,comp.databases.oracle.server
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 21:25:37 GMT

Fellow Linux users:
I have posted several questions to this newsgroup, and I have been very
impressed with the quality of the responses, as well as the whole Linux
community in general.  I'm installing Caldera's OpenLinux Base distribution
on a different PC right now (yes, I'm a newbie!), and I'd like to do what
little I personally can to help this O/S grow in popularity and even
successfully compete with Microsoft WindowsNT for corporate marketshare.
To contribute my little piece to the puzzle, I have gotten an enhancement
request generated at Oracle Corporation to provide a Linux port of Oracle8
and other tools.  (Enhancement request# 663419, the text from the request is
attached below.) To my  understanding, none of the major database vendors
currently have a version of their core database product for the Linux O/S,
although I believe all of them are being asked for it.  From my perspective
as an Oracle database administrator, one of the happenings that would
definitely help push the Linux O/S into corporations (and allow it to be
taken very seriously as an alternative to MS Windows95 and MS WindowsNT)
would be for the major database vendors to provide product offerings for
Linux.
Oracle Corporation (supposedly) periodically reviews enhancement requests
and looks at input from user groups, IOUG-A enhancements voting, and number
of TAR's (technical assistance requests) logged against the respective
enhancement requests.  They already have the enhancement request, so if
anyone wants to help push, here's what you can do:
1)  If you are a member of the Internation Oracle User's Group - America's,
you can vote on this enhancement request at the next round of voting this
year.  See www.ioug.org for details.
2)  If you are a member of a local Oracle user's group, type up a simple
petition stating that "The following member's of the xxx Oracle User's Group
would like to see Enhancement Request# 663419 'Linux port of ORACLE8'
implemented".  Have the user group members sign the petition, and mail it
to:
ORACLE Corporation
Support Sales & Customer Services
500 Oracle Parkway
Redwood Shores Ca 94065
3)  If you are currently an Oracle customer and have purchased support
services, then you can call in a TAR.  Simply indicate that your company
would like to see Enhancement Request# 663419 "Linux port of ORACLE8"
implemented.  Do this in addition to #1 and/or #2, as Oracle product
managers review the volume of TAR's pointing to enhancement requests.
4) If the above two options aren't available to you (if you're not already
an Oracle customer), then call the Support Sales & Customer Services at
1-800-392-2999, and let them know that you'd like to see Enhancement
Request# 663419 "Linux port of ORACLE8" implemented.
Feel free to post a copy of this on any other newsgroups or websites that
you may know of.
Thanks and kindest regards to everyone!
Dave Sisk