Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 21:02:39 -0400
From:      "Eloy A. Paris" <Eloy.Paris@ven.ra.rockwell.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD works with Cy486DLC processors?

Hi.

I installed FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE a couple of weeks ago and since then I
have been having programs exiting with signals 10 and 11, making my system
too unstable to work as a dedicated e-mail server and as a PPP to Ethernet
gateway.

I get such errors with processor intensive tasks like compiling (I got
errors like these while compiling the kernel, pppd and bind).

My microprocessor is a Cyrix Cy486DLC running at a mother board clock rate
of 33 MHz and an internal clock rate of 100 MHz.

Today I disabled the internal cache of the CPU and the system is behaving
quite stable since then but it is very very slooowwww. I got this error though:

Jun 17 13:25:33 skynet /kernel: pid 2880: tr: uid 1000: exited on signal 11

but I want to think this is not related to my hardware problem :-(

I have read the mail archives in www.freebsd.org and saw that someone said
that he would hardly recommend getting a Cyrix microprocessor.

Can someone tell me what could be wrong with my hardware setup and if I
would do better getting a genuine Intel CPU?

I am in deep trouble since I recommended to upgrade an old PC to a 486
instead of buying a new PC for this important piece of our Information
Technology structure. This machine is going to be an e-mail server (sendmail
+ pop3) and a PPP to Ethernet gateway that will connect two buildings
through a leased line. I NEED stability!!!

I don't think there is a problem with the mother board because I have tried
with two getting the same errors.

My hardware setup is:

Cyrix Cy486DLC CPU
16 Megs. of RAM