Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:49:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, maniatty@cs.albany.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Learning the FreeBSD Kernel

> Actually the lack a reference or tutorial document is kind of damning
> in a way, since it gives hardware vendors a powerful excuse not to
> support FreeBSD in the way that say Lin*x is supported.

We have a better solution; they just give us the documentation and we
write the drivers for them.  The end result is a better driver, produced
in less time, and with a motivated maintainer.

I've also written skeleton drivers for hardware vendors; typically they
just have to fill in the very lowest level of the driver for their device,
the rest can be generated in a couple of hours based on only the very
simplest description.

Writing documentation is a resource-sucking nuisance; supporting outdated
documentation even more so.  The BSD driver model is sufficiently simple
that it's fair to say that if you can't work it out from the code, you
probably shouldn't be writing a driver in the first place.  That's not to
say that a document describing the process wouldn't be good, merely that
such a document isn't actually going to help _us_ very much at all.