Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:30:30 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPL issues (Was: More important Windows Refund Day coverage)

> On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:37:17PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> > >Both allow individual to own things and even to profit and make
> > >private capital from them.
> >
> > Not so. The purpose of the GPL is to destroy businesses, markets,
> > and livelihoods, while duping developers into believing that it
> > somehow protects their interests.
>
> Come off it.
>
> As a strong FreeBSD supporter who prefers the GPL to the various other
> free software licenses I've seen, I find this thread quite disturbing.
> People seem to be simultaneously upset about something that they
> percieve as taking away the freedom to use whatever license they want,
> while complaining about people who choose to use a different license.

No, the issue here is that there are people that don't understand that
the GPL is a political weapon intended to seriously change the face of
the software world.  You can't use the GPL with accepting the
fundamental nature of what it is.

> The purpose of the GPL is to allow people to license their code under
> the GPL.  Period.  When I write software, I happen to want the
> restrictions of the GPL.  I do not want my code to ever become
> non-free.  That's my right - it's my code.

And because of this, it will never become anything other than what you
make it.  Nobody can take your code away from you; you don't need the
GPL to "protect" you from this.