Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2010 21:24:26 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Leonardo M. =?UTF-8?Q?Ram=C3=A9?=" <martinrame@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spanish keyboard in X

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:09:00 +0200, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
> El día Sunday, July 18, 2010 a las 11:32:05AM -0700, Leonardo M. Ramé escribió:
>
> > Yes,I have modified xorg.conf the same way as you mentioned.
> >
> > Anyway, now the problem is solved by adding "setxkbmap es &" to my .xsession
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Leonardo M. Ramé
> > http://leonardorame.blogspot.com
>
> A bit related to the question: If you need Spanish Tilde chars but you
> have only an English or German keyboard (like I have), you can make use
> of the so called WindowsKey in X11 and define the keys like shown below.

Just for completeness, there is another option I'd like to add:

You define a key to be the "multi key", usually labelled "Compose",
at least on the Sun keyboard I use; in ~/.xmodmaprc:

	add mod4 = Multi_key
	keycode 117 = Multi_key

Then you can compose any characters you need that aren't even part of
your localized keymap, e. g. "Compose char1 char2" (as a sequence, not
a combination) will give you the combination of both characters, at
least if there's a symbol matching in the character table. Examples:

	Compose a a -> å (svedish a-circle)
	Compose s s -> ß (Eszett)
	Compose o / -> ø (danish o-stroke)
	Compose U " -> Ü (german U Umlaut, capital)
	Compose L / -> Ł (polish L-stroke, capital)
	Compose k k -> ĸ (greek kappa, not sure if it really is)
	Compose n ' -> ń (n with accent grave)

This can also be used to generate tilde characters, as well as the
weirdest use of accents. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany