Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:18:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/systat vmstat.c

[cc: to freebsd-current]

According to Peter Wemm:
> "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> >   Log:
> >   Wow, make the vmstat display actually usable!  This is a cosmetic
> >   fix, but low-impact and worth the comeasurate risk.  I [jkh] can't even
> >   test it in -current since systat's vmstat display is completely broken
> >   there at the moment, printing out: "The alternate system clock has died!"
>
> Show this to Bruce..  According to him, this cannot happen.  The
> "alternate system clock" is the rtc (irq 8) and it has stopped sending the
> 128Hz statistics and/or 1024Hz profiling clock.  It's not just vmstat that
> is affected, check 'ps' and 'top'..  you'll also find that anything cpu
> intensive through time(1) gets all it's time credited to "system" rather
> than part "user" and part "system".

I saw the same behaviour while profiling some code.  My routines
were running infinitely fast, and the system was taking all the
time during execution.  Not exactly the expected behaviour.
See the thread "Is profiling broken" on the freebsd-current mailing
list.  Bruce suggested that I may have some hardware problem,
but a "make world" and new kernel seems to fix the problem.

--
Steve