Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:42:18 +0600
From:      Tim Pierce <twpierce@bio-3.bsd.uchicago.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail (Re: non-root users binding to ports < 1024 (was: Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> said:

> I'm with Michael.  I trust sendmail much more than something I know
> nothing about.

This amounts to defending the devil you know over the devil you
don't.  While that's a sound principle, it's also something of a
last line of defense: i.e., there's no reason you can't get to
know the other devil a little better.

Most of the defenses of sendmail I've seen thus far can be summed
up: it's the industry standard, everyone else in the world runs
it, any administrator will be instantly at home with it.  Hmm --
and I thought that I *wasn't* running Windows!

For the record, I currently run neither sendmail nor qmail (not
having a net-connected machine).  I am not intimately familiar
with qmail and am not really in a position to defend it.  What I
know is that I spend a lot of time with security weenies, and have
heard more about qmail in the last several months than about
perhaps any other package I'm not personally working on.  I'm
inclined to believe that it deserves a closer look than the folks
here have been willing to give it.