Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:47:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   New CVSup snapshot to fix load problems from old clients

A couple of you have reported that your mirrors have become very
heavily loaded after CVSup's s1g bug hit.  This is because old clients
which still have the bug are trying to update every touched file each
time.  Since virtually the entire FreeBSD repository has been tagged
in the past few days, almost all files have been touched.

I have created a new snapshot SNAP_16_1e which fixes this problem.  It
will refuse to serve clients that have the s1g bug.  Such clients will
display an error message directing the user to the s1g web page.  I
also added a similar check to the clients so that they will refuse to
take their updates from a server which still has the bug.

See the s1g web page for information about SNAP_16_1e:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~jdp/s1g/

The new snapshot is available in source form at this time.

I don't know if or when binaries for all of the platforms will become
available.  I know that many of you are used to the simplicity of
running binary CVSup releases.  But I think this whole s1g experience
has shown that if you are running a mirror site, you need to be able
to build CVSup from source.  If you are running FreeBSD, this is
trivial.  Simply install the pm3-net port (pm3-forms if you need the
GUI).  Building the pm3 ports is as simple as "make install", and if
you are running a mirror site then you certainly have the resources to
download the distfiles and build it.

I realize that some of you are running your mirrors on other
platforms, and I intend to help you get to the point where you can
build your own executables.  For some platforms it is very easy.
There are some links to instructions on the CVSup home page:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

I will create a more generic page with instructions that should work
for any platform, just as soon as I can.

To those of you who contributed SNAP_16_1d binaries for various
platforms, I would appreciate it if you could send me any patches you
had to make in order to build PM3.  I'll make these patches publicly
available so that folks can become more self-sufficient in regard to
building CVSup from source.

Thanks again for your patience during the past week.

John