Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2019 16:14:41 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accessing the host's X server from inside chroot

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:18:32 +0200, Per Hedeland wrote:
>xhost +

Hi,

for years I'm running my 24/7 Linux desktop PC session with Internet
connection almost all of the times with 'xhost +'. It's certainly not
smart to do it, but depending on the kind of unneeded security, it at
least is an option, again, assuming security is more or less
unimportant. Btw. I never noticed an attack against a FreeBSD or Linux
desktop PC session I was running. OTOH perhaps nobody tried to attack
me, because the majority of FreeBSD and Linux users refrain
from the 'xhost +' insanity, or I simply didn't notice the attacks. IOW
it shouldn't become wide-spread to do it, but on rare occasions it might
be ok. It at least is an available option, that for some reason never
was discontinued ;).

Don't get me wrong, I don't encourage to do it, it's just an available
option, that might be not that catastrophic, if the network is secured
by one or the other security related action.

Regards,
Ralf