Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scot Gale <Scot-Gale@excite.com>
To:        glytchbinary@home.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to setup network card?

On Sat, 01 Sep 2001 08:32:44 -0500, glytchbinary@home.com wrote:

>  I've gotten FreeBSD 4.2 installed and now how do i setup my network
>  card?
>  im using a SMC-ultra

>  with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message

For the future, technical questions should go to freebsd-questions, not
freebsd-newbies.

Type dmesg | more and make sure the card was recognized correctly. If not,
then definitely send a question to freebsd-questions and include in your
email the output of dmesg and whether your card is ISA or PCI.

Optimistically, I'll assume the card was recognized. Since you're an @Home
user, you'll probably need to make sure you send your @Home host name along
with your DHCP request for an IP address. Here are a couple links that
include the appropriate steps:

www.freebsddiary.org/athome.php
www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/cable.html

Sites like the two above are useful for getting the general idea of how to
do something, but the information sometimes gets out of date. You should
always refer to the handbook and the man pages for the commands and files
mentioned.

Hope this helps.