Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 22:07:46 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Creating a "Developer's Handbook"

Nik et al,

-On [20000406 02:55], Nik Clayton (nik@FreeBSD.ORG) wrote:
>-doc,
>
>There seems to be a consensus forming over the past 24 hours or so that
>breaking out a chunk of the Handbook in to a "Developer's Handbook"
>(and probably a "Porters Handbook" would be a good thing.

I like the idea.

>Unless there are any objections, I'll do this in about 36-48 hours.

Well, I am not going to bother with the Porter's stuff, that's not my
turf.

However on the Developer's note I already did some planning and
organising, which can be found at
http://home.wxs.nl/~asmodai/pdp/index.html

I also wrote some other docs which I need to move into Docbook format
(that was all before I got my commit bit).

Neil and me are currently working on setting up a mechanism to document
/usr/src akin to the GTk+ RDP project (http://www.gtk.org/rdp/).

>If you think there's a problem with this, please reply to this message.
>Don't worry if you haven't got time to put together a detailed response,
>a simple "I want to talk about this some more, please wait" will do fine,
>we can pick it up again when you've got more time.

Well, I am for it.

However, there are only a few chapters worth of keeping history of.
I have been focussing more on mdoc the last time, but I am willing to
undertake this challenge under your final judgement and fold it into the
current doc/ CVS tree.

Let me know about your take on this...

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      VIA NET.WORKS The Netherlands