Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:45:01 -0700
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Knobs for optional software...

"Jeroen C. van Gelderen" wrote:

> Why isn't a sysinstall knob sufficient to install the
> LPR of choice? Such a knob seems to work fine for X
> and the various desktops (KDE, GNOME, WindowMaker)[3].

  I think the knob approach is an excellent way to go.  It seems to me
that the best installer for most people's needs would:

  o install almost nothing by default
  o have knobs for nearly everything
  o have "bundle" packages that group things together
  o when a user requests a bundle, ask which (say) print system they
want (query on duplicates)

  We have something like that now with the "User, Developer, Kernel
Developer, etc" choice for which distributions to drop, so why not do
the same thing for install packaging?  (I mean, aside from the huge
amount of work involved).  We would, of course, need a little more
package metadata to make this anything but a maintenance nightmare, but
I think some XML and a clever architecture could work out pretty well.

  There has been some interesting talk lately about setting up a truly
"generic" kernel that loads all drivers from a set of modules at boot
time.  It seems to me like the whole project is moving towards nice cut
points for all system components, so why not plan for it across the
board?

  Just my $0.02.

Thanks,

--