Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:43:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the fs fun never stops

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Dag-Erling C.
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= had to walk into mine and say:

> Assuming Bill Paul gives his permission,

Of course you have my permission.

> I suggest somebody formats
> this nicely in sgml (preferably just <pre>...</pre>) and adds it to
> the hacker FAQ (doc/FAQ/hackers.sgml) under a heading like "13.13 How
> to make the most out of a kernel panic" or something like that. It's
> the kind of thing that immediately makes me think "gee, I'd better
> print this out and save it for later" when I see it.

I forgot to mention one thing: if you have DDB enabled and the kernel
drops into the debugger, you can force a panic (and a crash dump) just
by typing 'panic' at the ddb prompt. It may stop in the debugger again
during the panic phase. If it does, type 'continue' and it will finish
the crash dump.

-Bill