Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:34:36 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@highveldcs.com>
To:        mikel king <mikel.king@ocsny.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble brewing over the UNIX thing again... (was on freebsd-questions, moved to freebsd-chat)

> Here's a thought what about the intellectual property that the've enjoy
> at the expense of all of the BSD's? What would happen if the BSD world
> recinded the rights to TCP/IP and demanded compensation for it's use
> from say everyone?

Mike, the rights to IP itself are with DARPA, so we couldn't recind it, b=
ut,=20
UCB designed the origional UNIX IP stack (which could be installed as a=20
supliment to AT&T UNIX as part of the patch set then known as BSD). If we=
=20
recinded that, even MS would have to pay up for including the code in Win=
dows=20
2000.

Ofcourse, nice thought as it may be, we are far too nice to do that. The =
BSD=20
community has always taken pride in beating out the compettition with=20
overwhelmingly superior technology. Sueing all your compettitors is a=20
kindergarten business tactic only employed by companies who rely on old,=20
proprietary technology that nobody wants anymore, and are making huge los=
ses=20
still trying to sell that old technology. IMHO, the money SCO would be=20
spending on trying to sue every UNIX-like OS developer in the world would=
 be=20
better spent on developing a product we actually want.

Developing products we want has not been their strong point in the past. =
SCO=20
Unixware (the origional SCO, The Santa Cruz Operation) was rather handy, =
this=20
is ofcourse not the SCO we are dealing with today, ie, what used to be=20
Caldera. I don't think I know one person who ever willingly used Caldera=20
Linux, or anybody who actually bothered to buy their proprietary CDE desk=
top=20
environment. Why would we want to? We could download a free ISO with the =
same=20
thing, and having the same level of sickening userfriendlyness, from Red =
Hat =20
I wouldn't be caught dead using RH, still, it's handy for making a point.

Still, from the new SCO's point of view, that's probably a bad business p=
lan,=20
ie, making money the honest way. Why eat into McBride's salary to spend l=
ots=20
of money, and lots of time, researching new technology, when they can jus=
t=20
spend their shareholders' money quickly and sue everyone into paying them=
=20
"royaltees" for what might be their intilectual property, but most certai=
nly=20
is not their work. From a BMW-driver's perspective, it's a brilliant busi=
ness=20
model, apart from a legal team, you need no employees at all.

That works just wonderfully for management. They don't like engineers=20
remember, most engineers are smarter than most management, management don=
't=20
like employees that don't think their manager is an all knowing all seein=
g=20
entity of universal power which has the final authority on everything. If=
=20
managers had their way, they'd be regulating when we are allowed to relie=
ve=20
ourselves. Just think about seeing this on your office wall: "Employees w=
ill=20
not use company sanitation facilities more than once a day. Failure to co=
mply=20
will result in manegarial centure of the employee, and complete revocatio=
n of=20
sanitation facility privilages."

Back to the point, I can't see how this will go very far. Simply looking =
at=20
Boies' track record, in the words of a slashdot poster who's name has sli=
pped=20
my mind, but credit where it's due: "Boies is living proof that high prof=
ile=20
failures will do more for your career than low profile successes."

The only thing that could possibly be acumplished by SCO is a new line of=
=20
Microsoft anti-UNIX (and specifically anti-Linux) propaganda. Just when t=
hey=20
stopped calling it a cancer, and started to rather attempt to bring out t=
he=20
advantages to Windows (if there are truly such things). Now, I'm just wai=
ting=20
for TV adds saying: "Microsoft's software is 100% origional, we guarantee=
 no=20
problems with copyright liability." This doesn't cover the thousands of l=
ines=20
of code, which rumours say, were procured by less than honerable means, o=
r=20
the practice of seeing a good product, buying out the creator for a huge=20
ammount, and then marketing the product as their own. Ofcourse, I wouldn'=
t=20
want to be caught spreading rumours about them, they might sue me, oh hec=
k,=20
I've used some of their privately owned words in my e-mail, oh my, they m=
ight=20
sue me.... Let's just all remember where the only good product they ever=20
sold, MS-DOS, really came from.

Yet again, I deviate from the topic. To get back to the issue at hand, I =
want=20
to alude briefly to a sugestion that's popped up in a few strange places.=
=20
That being, the open source community setting up a consortium (if we get=20
thousands of people to donate, it's not that expensive is it?) and simply=
=20
putting SCO/Caldera out of its misery by a hostile takeover. It's a nasty=
=20
tactic generally employed by evil MonopoliStic types, but in this case, i=
t=20
would let duped shareholders get back some of their money, and give the n=
ew=20
board, elected by the new shareholders, us, the right to wave all their=20
intilectual property rights, and maybe use the company's employees and=20
resources for something nice, like say, research. Anyone for SCO stock?

Now, as all management think we should be doing, I'll add a standard=20
disclaimer to my e-mail. Almost all of this is just my own personal ranti=
ngs.=20
If you take this letter seriously, your are stupid. The content of this=20
message is not neciserally the view of all engineers, most of us just lov=
e=20
management, really. This message is posted in the hope of promoting=20
histerical laughter with all readers, if you did not find it funny, or fe=
el=20
offended by anything I have posted, I would like to express my sincerest=20
apologies that the terrible genetic imbalance responsible for your inabil=
ity=20
to process humor has so profoundly affected you and would like to advise =
you=20
that medication is available for this condition.

There we go, I've gotten everybody's two cents worth, that'll do for the =
day.=20
If you would like more nonsensical ranting and random abuse hurled at lar=
ge=20
corporations, please contact will@highveldcs.com, I am always available f=
or=20
unfriendly comments.

Will

--=20
Willie Viljoen
IT Solutions Consultant

Highveld Computing Solutions
214 Paul Kruger Avenue, Universitas
Bloemfontein
9321
South Africa

+27 51 522 15 60
+27 51 522 44 36 (after hours)
+27 82 404 03 27 (mobile)

will@highveldcs.com

Be ahead of the pack, visit http://www.highveldcs.com/ and find out how o=
ur=20
next generation IT solutions will propel your business into the 21st cent=
ury.