Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 01:46:10 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <csu96154@cse.iitd.ernet.in>, freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hosting my own domain.

At 11:06 PM +0530 5/6/01, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

>  I understand that one solution is to get a leased line from my ISP, but I
>  checked and saw that most of the prices are way to high, and plus, the
>  overheads of laying the cable, etc etc.  How then, do most people do it ?
>  I mean, I have seen plenty of personal sites on the Net, and I'm sure
>  there must be some cheaper alternative out there ...  is a leased line the
>  only way to get a static IP, or are there other ways ?

	It all depends on what you want and how you want to get it.  A
leased line from your ISP is certainly one way to go.  However, there
are other alternatives.  For one, you could get a box dedicated to
you and your domain, but hosted at a co-location facility.  However,
most co-location facilities have bandwidth limitations or bandwidth
charges, frequently on a monthly basis.

	If you don't want any kind of limitations like that, then pretty
much your only choice is to get a static IP address (or entire
network) assigned to you, and either a leased line or other 24x7
network access (maybe an ISDN line, or an SDSL line, or maybe even a
cable modem).  However, even with these choices, there may be
limitations placed on you by the provider -- you need to check out
their Terms of Service, etc....

	I would say that most vanity domains I know of are probably
actually done as a virtual hosting (a shared server at a central
location serves up pages for hundreds, or even thousands of domains,
and you are just one of many users on that machine, and you have
access only to your own files but do not control the machine itself).

	There are also virtual machine services, where they simulate a
machine in software, and you have complete control over that
simulated machine.  Unless you replace the binaries that they
provide, you have a full OS image that you have the use of, and a
certain amount of data space left over that is dedicated to you.  If
you want to compile and install some different or additional programs
which might then run as services on your virtual machine, you can do
that but then that comes out of your private allocation.

	In either of the above cases, mail for your domain may well be
handled by a totally separate machine (or set of machines), and you
might have just a standard user-level POP3 or IMAP account to access
that mailbox.  On a virtual machine, you could have it set up to
handle the mail for you, but then you would have to pay for the
mailbox storage out of your private disk space allocation.

	All virtual hosting or virtual machine services that I know of
will, of course, have limits placed on their bandwidth utilization,
disk storage utilization, etc....  Most people don't seem to have a
problem with this, but some people would prefer to run everything
themselves with as few limits as possible.

	What it boils down to is this -- how much control do you
want/need?  The maximum amount of control is only available with a
fixed IP address assigned to you and some sort of dedicated network
access (e.g., leased line, ISDN, SDSL, or cable modem), and you will
pay a lot more for this kind of access.

	Basically, you're setting yourself up with all the facilities
you'd need to become a small ISP, and the companies you buy those
services from are going to make sure they charge you accordingly.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */