Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:27:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Stacy Olivas <olivas@digiflux.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   advocacy/47606: The advocacy push continues..  FreeBSD PR team proposed...  News at 11.

>Number:         47606
>Category:       advocacy
>Synopsis:       The advocacy push continues..  FreeBSD PR team proposed...  News at 11.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD digiflux.org 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #7: Thu Dec 26 17:18:28 CET 2002 olivas@digiflux.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/Digiflux i386

	29 January 2003:
	In the span of just a few days, the newly rekindled spirit
	of the FreeBSD adovcates seems to be at the point of making
	a breakthrough.

	What is the breakthrough?

	The proposed formation of the FreeBSD PR team
	that has been officially sanctioned by the FreeBSD
	core team itself.  Dicussions arose as to who would be
	the leader of this effort?  Several people have stepped
	forward and tossed their "hats" into the ring.

	The "proposed" structure of this team (that has so far meet
	the approval of a few -advocacy mailing list participants)
	is as follows:

	The FreeBSD Advocacy group should be structured as follows:

	A core team consisting of not less than 4 people, with at
	least one person as the overall "head".  The core
	team will be the ones who set the goals, coordinate press
	releases, etc..
	(each member will have a vote on what direction things will
	go in).  The "head" of the team will have an equal vote on
	issues, but they will also be able to take the initiative
	and have the ability to "push" things in a given direction
	(helps keep from forming a deadlock).

	Using the four person minimum as the base model, each member
	of the core team will have specific responsibilities to
	towards the adovcacy project.  They are divided as
	follows (to borrow some stuff from Anthony's post on lead
	times, etc):

	Team head:
 	Overall project management/Primary POC
 	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
 		Onlines/Slashdot

	Core team member #1:
	In charge of recruting/providing assistance (direction)
 	to new advocates
 	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
 		Magazines

	Core team member #2:
	In charge of
 	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
 		Newspapers

	Core team member #3:
 	In charge of
 	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
 		Trade rags

	Each core team member will have the authority to speak on
	behalf of the project itself and act as an
	official representative for the project (and FreeBSD).  They
	will also have the authority to delegate responsibility to
 	people volunteering to work on the advocacy project (but it
 	does not alleviate them of being overall responsible for what
	they have delegated..  So, if someone drops the ball..)

	New core team members can be added ONLY if there is an
	unanimous vote from all current core team members.

	Q: Why are we even bothering forming another layer of
	   bureacracy for FreeBSD?  Isn't the project kinda
	   bloated as it is with "team members"?
	A: This isn't official yet (not until the core team
	   gives it's approval for such a thing.
	   It's being formed so that there is a recognizable
	   entity that can be put out as the PR dept for
	   FreeBSD.

	Q: Who cares?  I've been trolling these lists for
	   years and people like you come and go everyday.