Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 20:38:01 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what causes a userland to stop, but allows kernel to continue ?

In a message written on Sun, May 05, 2002 at 04:31:36PM -0700, Patrick Thomas wrote:
> So, based on a previous thread, it looks like I have a server whose
> userland halted, essentially, but the kernel continued running.

I've seen something similar to this before on an Ultrix box.  What
happened is on a busy machine the swap disk became unplugged.
Remember when all drives were external?  Anyway, for the most part
things in memory (including logged in users at just a shell prompt)
continued to work.  New telnet / ssh connections hung right after
connect (couldn't load login without touching swap, I think), some
httpds worked (enough in memory) others hung waiting for a swap
page.  The system limped long in this strange state for nearly two
minutes until the drive was plugged back in, when it went back to
swapping and all was well again.

No idea if it is related, but the semi-hung machine isn't a new
occurrence. :-)

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org