Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:08:58 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Andrew I. Arbuckle" <aiarbuckle@naxs.com>
Cc:        Woody Carey <wcarey@cs.uoregon.edu>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, dg@root.com, Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An idea for promoting FreeBSD

> Just a comment from an individual that is looking into an OS for a
> practical application - It appears from my research that FreeBSD would
> be ideal for any organization thinking of setting up an in-house Web
> Server, at least from the cost view, and even if you factor in the
> learning curve, it still looks very competitive.  Perhaps you should
> address this is your demo idea.

Many of us use it for such. The reality is that if you carefully read
the hardware compatibility lists and the Apache docs it's not difficult
to set up at all. My company <plug>http://www.partsnow.com</plug>; uses
FreeBSD, and 90+% of all our $6M+ of business comes through the FreeBSD
systems.

Apache configuration is the tricky part, and it's really site-dependant.
The truth is that most of it beyond entering your data file root path is
actually programmer and sysadmin preference.

Jump right in, sign yourself up for freebsd-questions and
hwg-servers@hwg.org (http://www.hwg.org), and ask away if you need to.
The Apache.org website and the FreeBSD.org handbook both give very
detailed info on the setup of each package. There is an O'Reilly book on
Apache, but it's pretty far out of date as Apache is moving rapidly.

In reality, I suspect that we will push for the Apache distribution to
include a little script that 'fixes' it so that it comes up correctly
when installed, even if it only shows up as 'localhost' instead of
"xxx.yyy.com"

I guess one thing you have to understand is that FreeBSD is the ultimate
'all options unlocked', programmer-beware software system. Efforts to
restrict its development to any particular path are fought _hard_. In
other words, we all like having a keg of dynamite in our hands, even if
it means that we have to walk very gingerly when setting it up.