Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 03:39:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        mark@quickweb.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj  size

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> > Mark Mayo wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi all, I was thinking of finally using the new CVSup to get the latest
> > > -current tree (I'm currently running the August 2.2-SNAP)  but, once
> > > again, I'm low on disk space  :-(  I asked this question several months
> > > ago when I built the -stable branch, but alas, my memory is terrible (my
> > > school marks prove it ;-)) and I forget the size of the /usr/obj
> > > directory. I'm hoping it is under 100MB so I can just mount up a zip drive
> > > (I'll have to pull it off my other PC) and build on that..
> >
> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/sd3f      424591    95491   295133    24%    /usr/obj
> > /dev/sd3g      230345   177091    34827    84%    /usr/src
> >
> > > Also, how much disk space overhead will pulling in the latest branch
> > > incur?
> >
> > not sure, but i know hte size of the cvs tree (not including ports, but
> > it does include the smp tree)
>
> Huh?  I don't think that's true, Jon.  Where is it located in the tree?

here is the missing piece from my previous mail, osrry for the confusion
that i must have caused.  (mdu is a shell script, that i have included
below)

Aspen:[5] cd /home/ncvs
Aspen:[6] mdu
4441    CVSROOT			# these numbers are 1k blocks
17212   smp			# obtained by running 'du -s -k'
251785  src			# on each subdirectory of /home/ncvs
1635    sup
Aspen:[7] cat `which mdu`
#!/bin/sh
for x in `ls`
do
        if [ -d $x ] ; then
                du -s -k $x
        fi
done

i cvsup'ed just last night so this included all the RELENG_2_2 changes

my cvsup.file include these distrbutions: src-{base,bin,contrib,etc,games,
gnu,include,lib,libexec,sbin,secure,share,sys,usrbin,usrsbin}

i do not sup the ports distribution or any of its parts, i just grab 'em
as i need 'em.

i sup src-smp and place it /home/ncvs/smp whereas the rest of the
distributions are placed into /home/ncvs

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/